For a more detailed description of any resource, click on “Read More >”
Or, to go directly to the resource, click on the title of that resource.
- Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) – a student-run club in a high school or middle school that brings together LGBTQA+ and straight students to support each other. Read More >
- Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network – An education-oriented network dedicated to spreading awareness. Read more >
- National Center for Transgender Equality – According to their website, NCTE is “the nation’s leading social justice advocacy organization winning life-saving change for transgender people.”
- Sylvia Rivera Law Project – SRLP’s website states that the organization, “works to guarantee that all people are free to self-determine gender identity and expression, regardless of income or race, and without facing harassment, discrimination or violence.”
- Transgender Law Cener – TLC “works to change law, policy, and attitudes so that all people can live safely, authentically, and free from discrimination regardless of their gender identity or expression. We envision a future where gender self-determination and authentic expression are seen as basic rights and matters of common human dignity.”
Individual Websites/Blog Articles
- A trans advocate’s perspective on Trans 101 questions – Basic information about what transgender means and an introduction to some of the issues that people who are transgender think about and, at times, grapple with.
- What to do when your child says, “I’m Transgender” – A one page quick reference with the basics of how to be as supportive as possible while you are trying to understand what this means for your individual child.
- Dara Hoffman-Fox, LPC – Are you questioning your gender identity? Trying to figure out how you feel comfortable expressing your gender identity? Then this is the website for you. I can’t recommend this resource enough. Read More >
- 5 LGBTQ College Planning Resources – Article written by Tracy Jackson, PhD and posted on TeenLife Blog.
Local (Philadelphia & PA Suburbs) Organizations for LGBTQA+ Youth/Adults (read description)
- Attic Youth Center Philadelphia’s only independant LGBTQA+ youth center. Read more >
- CHOP’s Gender and Sexuality Development Clinic – Among other services, offers consultation regarding transgender issues and offers hormonal suppression of adolescent development to buy time for the family to help their child explore what their feelings about gender expression mean to them. Read More >
- LGBT Equality Alliance – “Partners with businesses, community groups, schools, and corporations to support LGBTQ+ community members in Chester County” through: social support, education support, and health support.
- Mainline Youth Alliance – Teen/young adult drop-in center Read more >
- Mazzoni Center LGBT Health & Wellness Center in Philly Read more >
- Planned Parenthood – Pottstown – Offers sliding scale (affordable) HRT. STD testing.
- The Renaissance of Southeastern Pennsylvania (Transgender Association, Inc) – Provides peer support for adults, via monthly support group meetings, who are exploring their gender identity. They welcome anyone who considers themselves transgender, whether they identify as a crossdresser, transsexual, transgendered, intersexed, or are still discovering who they are. Spouses, friends, and interested professionals are also welcome. Members have diverse backgrounds, occupations and ethnicities. Chapters in Wilmington, DE, Wayne, PA, Trexlertown, PA.
- The SPOT – Planned Parenthood runs a LGBTQ youth support group. There may be groups run at different locations but I know there is one that is hosted by the West Chester office.
- Valley Forge OB/GYN/Axia Women’s Healthcare – Dr. K Ashley Brandt provides LGBT affirmative healthcare, including transgender services/HRT/surgery. (Note: This is a private practice but they take many different insurance plans.)
- William Way LGBT Community Center – “From social groups, networking events, and counseling and support services to art exhibitions and cultural experiences, the Center consistently strives to provide new and innovative programs for the LGBT communities of Philadelphia.” This is to be a very active group with multiple social activities going on every day of the week. Peer counseling and volunteer opportunities are also available.
- YouTube vLog – MrSmokinOak FtM 17 yo – 21 yo post op and 3 years on hormones
- YouTube Channel – TransByDef – assortment of vlogs about the transgender experience
- TedTalk – Norman Spack How I help transgender teens become who they want to be. Medical doctor advocates for hormone therapy that temporarily holds off adolescent development for questioning teens while they emotionally mature and become more confident about the external identity they want for their adult life.
- YouTube Channel – Dara Hoffman-Fox Lots of information here. Plus, she has a series of videos where she speaks to the viewer who is trans, agender, nonbinary or questioning their gender identity.
- Podcast – When the mirror lies: The transgender journey Dr. Dan Gotleib’s Voices on the Family radio show on WHYY. This broadcast had an assortment of local experts on trans issues.
- Radio Times: The challenges of transgender children and their families (2/9/2015) Read More >
- The Transgender Child: A Handbook for Families and Professionals by Stephanie Brill and Rachel Pepper
- You and Your Gender Identity: A Guide to Discovery by Dara Hoffman-Fox LPC